Saturday, July 31, 2010

ad4ad2 : Volcanos and chains? You've got to be kidding me.

Frazetta is awesome. I don't aspire to be like him - he's too damned good. When I was little all I wanted to do was paint bloody swords, sparkling scorcery, and women dripping with sexuality. At some point I realized that my conan was shit and I had the drawing abilities or a blind chimp.

I do love it when I get a chance to ape fantay artists and I think this may be one of those opportunities.

I retooled the sketch now that I've had more than 30 minutes to make it. I think this is the one, and if it's not, it's damn close.



be seeing you,
&Rew.

3 comments:

William Vega said...

so far so good, ur defintely giving us ur vision...frazetta is awesome but im really used to seeing frank cho's rendition of dejah thoris..are u doing it as a poster(like the tron one) or a postcard..frankly i'd prefer the poster...

kleer001 said...

Whoooohly shite! I'm gunna cry! Love the clouds and depth. I can't wait for the colors, there's so much temperature variation. I noticed you cut out the bell on the lizard's neck. I kinda liked it at first, but you're right it's not in the theme of the work. He definitely looks like a badass now. Also, the stone angel's bum? Yes, please, thank you!

If it was Christmas and you were Daddy WarBucks and the singularity had come and gone I'd ask for one more stone angel, framing the bottom right corner, you can only see like a shoulder, back, bum, maybe hair. Right there on that empty broken pylon. The same size as the rest, right? Or maybe just her lower half? Just her legs? Or just a pair/single stony high heels? Or maybe holding aloft a sword just waiting for Dejah Thoris to blink (or is that too cross genre?)?

Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Hmmm, Clear, I like it. I may have to do something about that.

William - hmmmm, I can do posters again, maybe i'll do the same thing. a short run of prints and then a stack of postcards. I'm really into postcards right now. (^___^) We'll see how my finances are by the time I'm finished.


&Rew.